You have probably heard the term “root canal” accompanied with a tone of dread or anxiety, but until you need one, you may not understand exactly what that means. A root canal actually refers to root canal therapy, a dental procedure designed to save an infected tooth and restore your comfort.
Root canals do not have to be painful. We offer comfortable root canals at our Bear Creek Houston dental office designed to prolong the life of your tooth and to protect your smile.
Root Canals Defined
An infection can develop anywhere – in a cut, burn, or even in your tooth. Infections occur due to trauma, damage, or a compromised immune system. When this occurs inside your tooth near the nerve, it often means pain and inflammation. This discomfort is frequently the first sign that something is wrong.
When you come into our office, we will take an x-ray and provide an exam to determine the cause of the pain and swelling. If you require a root canal, we will follow these steps to restore your health.
- We will make sure your tooth is completely numb before beginning any treatment.
- We will make a small access point in your tooth to eliminate infection and bacteria.
- We will sterilize the internal structure of your tooth and fill it with a protective material and medication.
- We will place a temporary filling in your tooth until we can determine it has healed properly.
- We will protect your tooth with a dental crown.
Root canal therapy is nothing to fear because our gentle dentists are committed to patient comfort. Most patients feel dramatically better after treatment and are relieved that they are on the road to recovery.
Call Your Bear Creek TX Dentist
If you experience pain and suspect you need a root canal, contact our Bear Creek Houston dental office for a dental appointment.